Sunday, October 16, 2005

Global Trekker






I enjoyed getting reacquainted with Ian Wright this evening while watching the program Global Trekker on the Discovery Travel Channel. I have surely missed his great English humor. I used to watch his show, Lonely Planet, over a decade ago when I was living in Siloam Springs. It was in great part the inspiration for my traveling in 1997. I have many VHS tapes in a box somewhere down in our basement of old episodes of Lonely Planet. I was absolutely overjoyed earlier in the week when I saw Global Trekker advertised. I was quick to set the TV to record the show... all episodes, new and old!

I could feel the adventure travel bug stirring within me while I watched the show this evening. I remember all too well the joy of finding a $10 hotel in Egypt; the joy of stepping off the ferry in Aqaba, Jordan; being fascinated watching a woman weave a rug on the isle of Rhodes; and playing cards in the 2nd floor kitchen of a hostel in Athens at 1 a.m. Surely there will me more of this for me in my future.

You can read a great interview with Ian Wright at this address: http://www.pilotguides.com/community/features/ian_wright_interview.php

Enjoy!

2 comments:

AWG said...

I remember how much you enjoyed that program, Gene. I actually got into it for a bit. Recently I saw Ian on that show. He is quite entertaining.

dean r said...

yeah I used to love watching him back when we had cable on Madison street. He was such a funny british guy who just put himself out there in these foreign situations but handled it so well.
DTR