Friday, March 25, 2005

Tribute to Terri

As legal doors have been closing one after another this week for the Schindlers, parents of Terri Schiavo, I have been stirred emotionally. I'm frustrated and angry about this case. I am one who chooses to error on the side of life and find it unconscionable that anyone could deprive a fellow human being of water and food, regardless of a health condition.

It is certainly a case that is very complex, however, I feel the decision of whether or not to pull the feeding tube is quite simple. No food or water equals certain death and I really feel that this is a crime. This is justice triumphing over mercy and is shameful.

I have pondered what I can do and I must confess I feel quite helpless. But after watching a program on television this evening, I realized that one thing I can do to honor Terri is to protect myself and my family from such a similar situation. I have learned that living wills are outdated and the importance of health care proxy's, "Advanced Directives", and "Durable Power of Attorney for Healthcare" are the only things that can really protect us now, in this age where there are people in power that believe you are better off dead than disabled. So I spent the better part of this evening surfing the web for a legal site that could assist me in drawing up these documents for myself.

I found my assistance at http://www.lawdepot.com/ and I would encourage everyone, regardless of where you stand on the Schiavo case, to visit this site and get these two documents, an "Advanced Health Care Directive" and "Durable Power of Attorney", on file in the event, God forbid, you should be in Terri's shoes. It is just a few dollars and money well spent.

Tomorrow morning, before I head to St. Louis with my family for vacation, I will be stopping by our Notary to have my documents witnessed, signed and tucked away in our secure place, hopefully to never be seen again. But should that day come, my family and I will be protected.

God Bless you and God Bless America!

1 comment:

AWG said...

Gene,
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this issue. I've been very frustrated on how its been handled by the courts and the media. Terri deserves to live and there should be an investigation into this so-called husband. What a creep!
Hope you all have a good time in St. Louis. Be careful and stay safe.