Saturday, September 29, 2007

Are You Ready?

How does one prepare for a pandemic that could kill 1 of every 10 people in your community?

I was prompted to do a little research after I heard an ad on the radio while zipping around Branson today. It was an public service announcement on a small radio station out of our hometown, in Harrison, AR for pandemic preparedness. My quick and simple research yielded me tons of information.

I think the most amazing thing I found so far is that right here in the state of Arkansas, there has been an official 147 page Influenza Pandemic Response Plan drafted within the last 14 months. It's 147 pages long folks! That's a huge document guys (yes, I printed it). It includes everything from Influenza Suerveillance to Information about Influenza to Clinical Guidelines and even an example of an Home Quarantine Order and Facility Quarantine that Communities can use. Yikes!

I just watched a very interesting and disturbing documentary which showed the effects of a possible future outbreak of avian flu and how it would spread across the world. It's a 1 1/2 hour YouTube video and if you've got the time, watch it. You can see it by clicking here.

Well, I won't make this too long. I just thought I'd let you know my most recent tangent. Besides, I have to go to the store right now and buy some rice and water. Later.

No comments: