Friday, November 11, 2005

Cabinetry and Country Music















For almost as long as we’ve lived in this house I have been telling Chris I was going to build an island for our kitchen. For a couple years now I have been doing research, reading books, visiting home centers, looking for ideas and drawing up plans for an island. This week I finally put all the planning into action and I have been working diligently in our basement building the cabinets that will make our island. I’m very excited about being done with this project. Not because I’m not enjoying the task, but simply because I’m anxious to see it finished. I really think it is going to be a huge improvement to our kitchen and our home.

While working on this project I have had a very antiquated and tired boombox tuned into our local “Hee Haw” country music station. Why, I don’t know. As a general rule, I do not listen to country music. A couple years ago I decided that I would no longer say the words “I don’t like country music” because it had become so diverse, with so many different artist and styles that I thought surely I could find something in the genre that I could appreciate.

Well, after a week now of listening to songs with lyrics such as (and I am not making these up) “Mama’s in the graveyard, poppa’s in the pen…”, “Tequila makes her clothes fall off…”, and “She never cried when Ol’ Yeller died, she wasn’t washed in the blood of the Lamb…and I ain’t gonna cry when she’s gone”, I have, once again, decided that I do not like country music.

Country music is like a roller coaster ride of emotions. At one moment I’m feeling happy for the estranged wife that “let herself go” to Vegas and Honolulu and the next I’m in tears for Sarah, the cancer patient teen whose boyfriend just compassionately shaved his head. And when the songs are over I feel just as sick to my stomach as I do when I get off a roller coaster.

I guess the good news is that I am now in the running for a new four-wheeler. I called into the station when they announced that the next five callers would be put in a drawing for this “toy” and I was caller number one! The guy that answered the phone simply asked me my name and asked promptly, “You do know you have to be present to win?.” I said yes but as soon as I hung up the phone it occurred to me that I had no idea who where or what business was holding the give away. Zoinks! I had to listen for another half hour before they announced it was at the local “Car-Mart”. Again, I’m not making this up. Car-Mart is a real place. Kind of the Wal-Mart of dealerships I guess.

Well, I guess I will continue to listen to the country music while I do cabinetry. They seem to go together. And who knows, maybe next week there will be a drawing for something that I can really use, like a hot tub to relax achy, breaky back.

Have a great weekend.

P.S. Jewell turns 18 today! Yee Haw!
P.P.S. The island is 6'x3'

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.