Monday, December 31, 2007

Goodbye 2007

I have about an hour and 7 minutes to say goodbye to 2007. I don't think I'm going to miss it too much. It's difficult to take my mind off all its atrocities: The massacre at Virginia Tech, the recent assassination of former Pakistani Prime Minister Bhutto, the continuing nuclear standoff with Iraq, unrest in Myanmar and George Bush's ongoing war in Iraq... the deadly bridge collapse in Minnesota, wildfires in California and Greece, a rise in foreclosures, huge fuel prices... and worst of them all, the spectacle surrounding Anna Nicole Smith's death (enough already)... Never has the term goodbye been more appropriate! GOODbye 2007.

Hello 2008! I hope you'll bring us better times. I am hopeful; although, with the freaks we're turning out in our schools, still another year of Bush (God help us), Global warming and a media force out to publish and broadcast what sells, I'm not too hopeful. I think perhaps one of my resolutions should be to turn off the TV and disconnect the high speed internet.

We bade adieu to many celbs this year. A few of note: Luciano Pavorotti, Dan Fogelberg, Evil Knievel, Robert Goulet, Merv Griffin, Tom Snyder, Tammy Faye Messner, Charles Nelson Reilly, Beverly Sills, Porter Wagoner, Joel Siegel, Dick "Mr. Wipple" Wilson, Lady Bird Johnson, Liz Claiborne, Tommy Newsome, Don Ho, Marcel Marceau and Larry "Bud" Melman. They were wonderful entertainment and inspiration.

On a much more personal note, I will dearly miss Derek Masters. Derek was one of Kip's best buds during high school and a close friend to everyone in our family. His life was cut short on November 10th when he was killed in a motorcycle accident in North Carolina. I will miss his spontaneous visits when he was home on a leave. I will miss his wonderful grin and innocent temperament. One would never have guessed this wonderful young man would grow up to be a Sergeant in the US Marine Corps, but he did. We were and are so proud of his accomplishmens and service. Our hearts and prayers go out to Mike and kelly and the rest of Derek's family.

Well, I have 5 minutes left. Let me take that time to say how much I love & appreciate my family; my wonderful wife, Chris (today is our 7th wedding anniversary); my stepson Kip & his wife Jessica, they are such a terrific team; my precious step-daughter Jewell who is amazing; and my most incredible stepson Bo, who I hope never doubts the depth of my love. I love them all so much.

May you be blessed in 2008!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

No comments: