Sunday, October 28, 2007

Neiman Marcus Cookies



One of the reasons I'm getting anxious for Thanksgiving is so I can make some Neiman Marcus cookies. I LOVE these cookies! I’ve made them several years now for Thanksgiving. They are by far and above my favorite. I believe it was my older sister Cindy that introduced me to them about 20 years ago and I have loved them ever since.

Somehow in the last year I misplaced my recipe for them though. So today I went online to search for the recipe. The first place I found was actually the Neiman Marcus website. They had a story and the recipe listed. But, it was NOT the recipe that I have used all these years. My recipe has oatmeal. The one on the Neiman Marcus site did not have oatmeal. MYSTERY! Makes me wonder, did they post a bogus recipe so people don't really have their recipe OR is the recipe that I had an entirely different one, never really from Neiman Marcus (probably the latter)?

Well, fortunately, I found the recipe that I have used and will continue to make the cookies this way. Here's the recipe if you want a real treat:

(Recipe may be halved):

2 cups butter
4 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
2 cups granulated sugar
2 cups brown sugar
5 cups blended oatmeal (measure oatmeal and blend in blender to a fine powder)
24 oz. chocolate chips
1 tsp. salt
1 8 oz. Hershey bar (grated)
4 eggs
2 tsp. baking powder
3 cups chopped nuts (your choice)
2 tsp. vanilla

Cream the butter and both sugars. Add eggs and vanilla; mix together with flour, oatmeal, salt, baking powder, and soda. Add chocolate chips, Hershey bar and nuts. Roll into balls and place two inches apart on a cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes at 375 degrees. Makes 112 cookies.

No comments: